Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Hello, Dear Readers!

It took some time, but I finally finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This had been on my to-read list for a very long time, and I'm so glad to finally cross that one off. I checked it out from my public library, but you can find it here!
                                             

Plot Summary: American Gods is a fantasy novel written by the talented Neil Gaiman. It follows the story of an ex-con, Shadow Moon, after he is released from prison. Upon learning that his wife and best friend died in a car crash only a week before he was released (and learning that said two were involved sexually), Shadow decides to take a job from the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, a one-eyed man who comes straight out of mythology. Mr. Wednesday informs Shadow that a war is about to happen, between the gods of old religions, and the new gods, such as the gods of the Internet, the Freeway, and the goddess of Media. As Shadow travels around the United States helping Mr. Wednesday, he encounters beings either long-forgotten, or no longer believed in. More importantly, however, Shadow learns about himself, and what he is truly capable of doing.

Thoughts: I enjoyed this book. I found it gripping and compelling, and at points, very difficult to put down. It took a while to actually get into the book, but once the story actually picked up, it was quite fascinating. Gaiman is a master of mythology and story-telling, and he has re-cast the old gods in new faces. His grasp of various mythologies and knowledge of folk lore are really what carry the story, as even the minor characters are well-fleshed out. The side-stories were rather distracting, and I think they detracted from the story over-all. I didn't love the book, but once again, Gaiman has written a story that I found truly enjoyable to read. (I'm a huge fan of The Sandman series)

Rating: 4/5 Because of my love of mythology, I enjoyed the story. The side stories and slow start, however, detracted a star from the rating, hence the 4/5.

Other things.

I'll be focusing on law school stuff for the next week, and then school starts back up so I'll be focusing on my theses. I may not get to do all of the DIY fun stuff I wanted to, but that's alright. I plan on making a Xena costume. I've bought the corset, but will make the skirt and armor. The skirt I can make at school, but the armor will most likely be a summer-time project. I hope to finish the costume in time for New York ComicCon this fall.

I'll also try to keep my New Years resolutions/goals (I've already done two! The dress separation and acquired some high-waisted colored jeans! I'll post an outfit pic with those pants soon.).

Love,
Nicolette

No comments:

Post a Comment